Reut and Ziv

Hi Friends, 

Kai was born on Friday at around 3:45 in the afternoon. Timing couldn't be more perfect for us as my mom arrived all the way from Israel on Thursday afternoon. We all slept very well that night and in the morning, after dropping Milan off at daycare, I started feeling some good surges. They came very close -- about 2 to 3 minutes apart but were not very long. I called Ami (our midwife) to let her know that something maybe happening and that she should be ready.

I wanted to spend some time with my mom and be out but I didn't want to be too far from the house so we went for a short walk in the neighborhood. We wanted to see the views and it was very nice out so we went up the hill and then down 196! straits back to Kirkham street. I thought it might help move things a little faster. 

Back at the house I almost didn't feel the surges anymore and was a little disappointed. We've decided to go to the Andronico's market to get some food. When we were outside again and walking, I could feel the constructions better and a little stronger than before and I was exited again. Just before we went to the store, I asked Ziv to start filling the birth tub, just in case...

Back at the house, again, I didn't feel them very strong and decided to go to bed and try to rest as I thought I may have a long way ahead. I was laying in bed for about 10 minutes and the surges simply disappeared! Then, all of a sudden I hear a 'pac' sound and felt like something just popped in my belly (very strange feeling). I knew right a way my water broke but I was so surprised that my heart was racing. I jumped out of bed and called Ziv. We called Ami again and while Ziv is talking to her on the phone, I feel one very strong surge that forced me to the floor. It was different than the little ones I've been feeling before. 

It was about 2 pm and Ami arrived a few minutes later, checked me and said it was a good idea to get in the tub. It felt really good being in the water but I remember it was very very intense from that moment on and I was really hoping I don't have to do this for a very long time. I felt everything and was very aware and didn't enjoy this at all but I kept reminding my self that I am strong and that I can do this and that I will meet my sweet baby very soon. Ziv and Ami were very supportive, they kept on telling me that I'm doing great were and encouraging me. 

My mom was making a soup in the kitchen and every now and then came and took a few photos. 
At some point Nancy (second midwife) arrived as well and soon after it was time to push. Ami and Nancy asked that I push him outside of the water. I stepped out with the help of Ziv and was on hands and knees right by the tub. 

Ami Burnham performs a newborn exam on baby Kai while big sister Milan looks on.

Ami Burnham performs a newborn exam on baby Kai while big sister Milan looks on.

I was ready to push now so I just let my body do most of the work and just tried to move from hands and knees to a more up-right position and then back as I was tired. I pushed for about 15 minutes and he was out! What a relief!!! Nancy handed him to me and they helped me get on the mattress and I just remember I was shaking and cold, but very happy and exited. 

Ami later told me I was only 3 cm when she first checked me. I'm glad I didn't know that at the time. ;-)

I feel very lucky and thankful to have experienced this and very happy to have little Kai in my life. He is such a cutie. We also feel very lucky to have Nancy and Ami as our midwifes. I couldn't ask for anything else. We are all doing very well and happy with the new addition to the family.

Lots of love to you all, 

Ziv, Reut, Milan and Kai